Friday, February 23, 2007

The Sacrilege of T.D. Jakes.

by

It’s time for me to upset some of you folks who feel T.D. Jakes is the best pastor since the apostles themselves. In fact, I’m going to upset some of you who feel T.D. Jakes is a pastor of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, because the doctrine of this nondenominational individual has strayed far from the truth. I just wanted to be sure I had enough firm examples to show you before giving him a full post of his very own.

First, Jakes does not believe in the Holy Trinity. He believes in something that is totally obscure to me and not supported by scripture. Jesus made it clear God is triune when he said himself:

Matthew 28:18-20 (New King James Version)

18) And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

19) Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20) teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

(There are tons of other scripture that verify the Trinity, that is just one example.)

No he did not say just in his name, he said 3. This is what the most basic Christian doctrine teaches is the Holy Trinity. The God head and full nature of our Lord. Jakes has something else in mind, known as a form of “Oneness” doctrine. Melvin has it detailed and actual audio from Jakes in this post on his Pulpit Pimps blog.

Then there is the fact that Jakes preaches the Prosperity Gospel and is very close with others like Eddie Long, who preach this same twisted heresy. I used to see Jakes all the time when caught up at Eddie Long’s church. And where you find the Prosperity Gospel, you always find the Word-Faith heresy. That link has plenty on Jakes and others. I usually only mention the Prosperity Gospel when speaking of the heresies preached by folks like Jakes, because the Word-Faith aspect always goes hand in hand with that. People who want to name and claim more for themselves. Keep in mind, that a “Bishop” is not supposed to be a man who is greedy for money.

I first became turned off with Jakes when I noticed that like other preachers including Eddie Long, they have fee based events where they preach to the people who pay the fee for entry. I NEVER paid a fee to see any of these men preach, because the Gospel should be freely given. Donations to the church are what should cover any expenses, otherwise don’t have the event. I always asked people who would consider attending those paid events, how much did Jesus charge for the sermon on the mount?

Now some good folks have highlighted an NPR interview T.D. Jakes did back in May of last year. Melvin has a new post about it on his blog and this was also highlighted by the blog Doctrine Matters. It is important that these issues in Jakes’ doctrine be raised, because given his massive following he could lead many people from the truth.

At that NPR interview, Jakes was promoting his book Mama Made the Difference. You can hear the full audio of the NPR interview here.

A Muslim woman basically asked Jakes if he feels Christians and not Muslims will go to Heaven. Jakes, instead of standing on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and against the cult of Muhammad, took a more ecumenical route. Here’s what the blog The Heresy Hunter transcribed of the exchange.

ANNETTE: I’m a Muslim here in Portland. I’m part of a Shiite community. And we had a wonderful interface dialogue last weekend with a local Unitarian church. And I’d like to ask you please to speak about concrete experiences you’ve had as far as interfaith dialogue goes. And also would like to ask you, do you feel that only Christians could hope to enter Heaven?


Pastor JAKES:
Very great question. When it comes to interfaith experiences, I’m currently serving by the appointment of former President Bush and President Clinton, as co-chair of an interfaith advisory committee to help people get back up on their feet.

And we do have on the board Muslims, Catholics, a Jewish Rabbi, Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals across the board. And we’re working together very effectively because we all care about common goals. We have our distinct theologies and our own ideologies but there are common grounds that we can work together very effectively in many, many cases.

When it comes to Heaven, I try to leave that up to God. I certainly believe that Christianity is right, but when it comes down to the final test–who goes and who doesn’t go–Jesus said, Other sheep have I who are not of this fold. Them also must I bring. I’ll let Him identify who those sheep are and I stay out of the conversation.

Jakes speaks pure blasphemy. Knowing the doctrine of the Muslims, plus the Biblical history, for him to hedge on the question is totally against Christian doctrine. But he can’t say Islam is a cult, that denies Jesus as Lord and leads to hell. That would keep him off those neat “interfaith” organizations, that are supposed to offer politicians faith-based guidance.

Also, for Jakes to infer that Jesus speaking of “other sheep” possibly including people who fail to accept Jesus (like Muslims) is ludicrous. You read the full passage of scripture and it’s clear that Jesus shows he is THE ONLY WAY.

John 10:1-18 (New King James Version)

1) “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

2) But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

3) To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

4) And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.

5) Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.”

6) Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.

7) Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

8) All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.

9) I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

10) The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

11) “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

12) But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.

13) The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.

14) I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.

15) As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

16) And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

17) “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.

18) No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

Jesus was speaking to Jews and simply was saying that people other than Jews would be able to follow him and be saved. For Jakes to obscure the issue with a Muslim is just wrong. He should have informed the Muslim that Jesus is the way to salvation and that the teachings of Muhammad are incorrect. Oh, but then he’d have to offend somebody and might sell less books!

When it comes to the books, Jakes wants you to know he’s not just a pastor.

I’m a clergyman, I’m a preacher by calling, but when it comes to vocation I’m also an author. I like to write and I’m here as a guest of Penguin Putnam and when I write a book they treat me like anybody else who wrote a book. There’s no difference there at all.

Wouldn’t want to say anything that might upset that big book deal, by telling a Muslim Jesus is the only way to Heaven. Jesus made it clear he is the true way and people like Muhammad are false and a robber, but you won’t hear Jakes tell that full portion of scripture.

After not giving proper guidance to the Muslim woman, the NPR commentator attempted to pin Jakes down. To see if he would say that somebody is going to hell. The commentator brought up homosexuals and once again, Jakes put on his dancing shoes instead of giving a direct answer.

(my transcription of the exchange is below)

Commentator: You don’t stay out of the conversation necessarily when homosexuals are the issue.


Jakes:
Uh, what makes you say that?


Commentator:
Well uh, I’ve read that you consider homosexuality is a sin. So if you’re practicing ah homosexual you’re not going to heaven.


Jakes:
You know something, I don’t know anybody of any faith who can say that they have no sin in their lives. Whether it’s homosexuality or lying on your income tax or speaking rudely to somebody at a window. What we call sin may differ from person to person, but who amongst us can say that they have no sin? Jesus said that. And he said he that is without fault among you let him cast the first stone. I’m certainly not casting any particular stones at any particular group of people. All of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God, but the question was about hell. And when it comes down to hell, that’s an issue that I believe in a way of salvation. I believe that Jesus is the way the truth and the life. That no man comes unto the Father saved but by him. But I’m not so dogmatic in my views, that I’m willing to condemn anybody and send them to hell, I leave that up to God.

Nobody asked him to toss a stone at anyone. Just say what he believes. Jesus is not “a way”, he is THE WAY.

I sure wish the apostle Paul were doing that interview, because he’s given a more honest answer.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (New King James Version)

9) Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

10) nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Yes we all have sinned and continue to battle with that. I emphasize he word BATTLE regarding sin, because that is the core issue here. Jakes was asked about someone being gay and getting into Heaven. Paul has made it clear, that someone who continues to live in homosexuality or other sins will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven. We all have sins, but we must fight those sins and if someone does not desire to fight against sin, including homosexual behavior, they are not following Christ and won’t make it into Heaven. I have fully explained this and the various temptations we all have to sin in a previous post. No we can’t say that someone who desires to remain living in any sin will make it to Heaven and Jakes should have been clear. People who are fighting against the sinful nature of their flesh will fair far better. The ambiguous answers given by T.D. Jakes leave people who refuse Jesus and people who endorse sinful behavior with the view that they might get into Heaven. Of course it’s God’s call who will get into Heaven, but we must be clear about what we believe. Because God has already made the criteria for entry to Heaven clear. At best, Jakes’ statements leave people thinking they can accept Jesus and continue to be at peace with sinful behavior. It treats sin as if it is just a word and if you’re doing sin it’s OK so long as you claim Jesus while doing it. The way to Heaven involves accepting Jesus and turning from sin. This is something Jakes should not hedge over.

Later in the interview, Jakes babbled about his church’s charitable works. It is best for Christians to remain quiet about charitable deeds.

Matthew 6:2-4 (New King James Version)

2) Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

3) But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4) that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.

When asked about Democrats and Republicans Jakes said.

We survive by the balance of the two extremities.

Tell that to the millions of babies who die via abortion. I’m not saying all that Republicans or Democrats advocate is good, however I don’t see God’s will at their center either! And I can’t use the word “survive” when babies are allowed to be killed in that balance. Democrats and Republicans are both the political embodiment of various special interest groups and nothing more. Given the issues caused by illegal immigration, plus terrorists entering with them, that neither party will adequately address, survival is very much a relative term.

Jakes’ answers are so open ended and his doctrine so out of step with true Christian teaching, that I worry what he really thinks regarding faith in private. And I must be honest, it’s very annoying listening to him with that terrible lisp. For someone who speaks as much in public as he does, to still hold a lisp is just troublesome to me.

No comments: